1. What is the best age to neuter or spay your pet?
Usually around 6mos. old before puberty.
2. What are the Benefits of Neutering a pet?
a. To reduce the pet over population.
b. Males--reduced aggression; reduced risk of anal tumors/cancer and prostate enlargement/infections.
c. Females--reduced risk of breast cancer; eliminates infections of the uterus or pymetra.
3. What is the best age to start behavior training classes?
Usually around 4 mos. old.
4. What is the best method of housebreaking a puppy?
Crate training is the best.
5. How oftern should I have my pet's teeth be professionally cleaned?
80% of animals over 3 yrs. old have some level of periodontal disease. So around 3 yrs. then ultimately
every 1-2 yrs. is best. As they age more frequent dentistries are usually needed.
6. How often should I be using flea/tick products and heartworm meds?
Once a month year round is best. Heartworm pills also cover for some intestinal parasites and fleas
can live all year round in the home.
7. When is my pet considered a senior animal?
Cats and dogs age 7yrs for every 1 human year, so around 8yrs. old. Large breed dogs have shorter
lives so around 6yrs.
8. How often should my pet have an exam?
Once a year and twice a year when an animal reaches 6-8yrs. old due to specific geriatric medical
conditions that are seen as they age; such as cancer, diabetes, etc.
9. Are all Vaccines necessary for my pet?
There are some necessary Core vaccines such as Distemper/Parvo and Rabies for both cat and dog
and other vaccines available depending on whether the animal goes outside or ventures into the
woods or has contact with other animals.